Sunday 7 February 2010

Oatcake Experimentation....& some running

Following the success of the fudgey babies, I thought I would try making my own oat cakes. I love oatcakes & usually have a packet at my desk to nibble on - I usually just eat them as they come.

Exhibit A

100g oatmeal
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of bicarb of soda
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 tbsp hot water

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add oil & water & mix. Roll out & cut out using a pastry cutter. Bake in the over at gas mark 4 for 8 - 10 mins
I thought these were very salty and not really to my taste but not bad.
But I thought I'd try a different recipe to see if I could find something more suitable for my palate.









Exhibit B

60g Oatmeal
60g wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
pinch salt
1 tbsp corn oil
5 tbsp hot water
Pretty much same as Exhibit A, except oven temp. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add oil & water & mix. Roll out & cut out using a pastry cutter. Bake in the over at gas mark 6 for 10 mins


These were really really nice.
There was a little 'dough' left so I decided to add some ginger - I love Nairns ginger oat biscuits - one of my favourites - this is where the idea stemmed from and thus behold...





Exhibit C

These were also tasty.

Mr Fudgey did a fantastic job as chief taster.

& some Running
and I was back to running today. 5km in 29 minutes 14 seconds. First 3 kms no problem, last 2 started to feel a little tense and I was a little sore after my run but I put this down to the fact there was no hot water at the gym & I had to have a cold shower....which was very invigorating but not so good for my leg. I think coupled with the fact that I then sat for 2.5 hours watching Avatar which I loved & being the emotional fudgey I am, cried at. There you go Mr Fudgey I have owned up to crying at Avatar!
Plan for this week is to ease gently back to the running and see how the leg feels.

Hope you've all have a wonderful weekend.
More soon
love
Fudgey xx

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I *have* to try some homemade oat biscuits, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete