Friday 5 February 2010

Injury does not equal inactivity

Hello Fudgey Friends,

Hope you have all had a great week and have a fudgey weekend planned.

I haven't blogged this week so far for a number of reasons. I've been really busy at work again this week & been so tired when I've got home in the evening. I've been out 3 nights of the week too.
I also have had no running to blog about what so ever as I picked up a little injury on my long run on Sunday.

Illiotibial Band :-(
The Illiotibial band isn't a muscle it's a piece of connective tissue that runs from the Ilium (hip) to the Tibia (shin bone) & I've hurt mine. This is a really common running injury apparently. Nice to know I'm now a real runner what with my ITB (click link for more description on injury), and the loss of my toenail. Yes I am now officially a real runner!!
Being a qualified First Aider, massage therapist & sometimes a sensible fudge I knew I needed to stop running for a few days at least & initial treatment was R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation) I was not a happy fudgey on Sunday evening.

Injury doesn't need to mean inactivity though. I've recently read a couple of books on running in general & on training for a half marathon and if you should get a niggle or get injured - even if you can't run you can find alternatives to keep up your fitness.

So on Monday I went for a swim at lunchtime. 50 lengths of our wee pool = half a mile & I did that in 25 mins. I'm not a great swimmer but I forgot how relaxing it can be. BTW This is not a picture of me! Monday night I was out at my Scottish Slimmers class - even though I reached my target weight in September I still regularly weigh in to make sure I am on track.
On Tuesday I had a quick warm up on the cross trainer & tried out the new cardio wave machine in the gym - my leg wasn't so keen on the range of movement on the cardio wave machine but my goodness when I'm back to full fitness I'll be trying it out again, great workout & calorie burner. I then concentrated on my upper body. I did 3 sets of 15 reps wide grip assisted chins super set with 12 reps bent over row with 15kg bar, 3 sets of 15 reps of swiss ball chest press with 5kg weights superset with 12 press ups, 3 sets of 12 reps bicep curls with 5kg weights, 3 sets of 12 reps of tricep extension with 3kg weights & finally 3 sets of 15 reps ab extensions with 5kg medicine ball. I also had a leisurely 20 minute swim.

The hill are alive.....
with the Sound of Music. On Tuesday evening Mr Fudgey & I went out for dinner with his Mum & Dad & then his Mum & I went to see The Sound of Music at The Edinburgh Playhouse. The meal at Giulianos was good but unfortunately we had to cancel our dessert order as it was too close to the show time and they hadn't arrived :-( I was really looking forward to my wild cherries, ice cream & whipped cream....this would have been a real treat for me as I am usually so strict about what I eat. The show was Fab. A enormous Thank you to Mum Fudgey Smith for getting tickets & taking me. The boys - Mr Fudgey & his Dad went to see a movie 'Edge of Darkness'. A great night was had by all.

Wednesday I had a total rest day & felt so much better for it.

Thursday morning back in the gym.
13 minutes on the cross trainer, weighted steps ups using 20lb weights 10 each leg superset with medicine ball lunges 10 each leg x 3 sets, 3 sets of 15 reps romanian dead lifts with 20kg bar, 4 minute rowing challenge and 3 sets of 15 reps ab extensions with 25lb plate...all closely supervised by Colin my lovely PT....who is also injured....hope your knee is better soon too.

On Thursday night I went for my first ever sports massage to see if it would help my leg. It was the best massage ever. OK a little painful at times but afterwards I felt I could have run home! The tension in the muscles was really released & I felt an immediate difference. £30 well spent. If you workout regularly, are carrying a sports related injury or are training for any kind of sporting or endurance event I would seriously recommend you consider including sports massage into your training plan.

Today I woke up feeling really exhausted and I knew that I had a lot to get done today. Thankfully the fact it was Friday & having plenty to keep my mind busy meant the morning whizzed by. I decided to head down to the gym at lunchtime and did 10 minutes on the cardio wave machine and then 10 minutes on the treadmill. I didn't run fast or far or have an incline on - in fact it was probably more of a jog than a run and it felt OK - not great just OK, but it was great to be back running. All being well I'll start building back up very gradually over the next week or two - but I think I am on the mend.

My fitness regime is so important to me and such a huge part of life now that I'm not going to do anything daft to jeopardise my health and well being and end up being badly injured. This lead me this afternoon to question....when did I get so sensible?
It is vital though to listen to your body.

I managed to get through all the things I has set out to get done at work by the end of today and a few wee extra things so it's been a positive end to the week.

So on that note this little fudgey is going to leave you & go & make my wonderful husband a nice cup of tea.



Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
I'll be back again soon

lots of love
Fudgey xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment