Wednesday 17 May 2017

Gung-Ho Seriously Fun 5k

Hello everyone 

Another weekend Another event! 

This one is down to my lovely friend Lyndsey who emailed a group of us way back on 13th February about this 5k with inflatable obstacles.
 
On 8th March 7 of us from work (Me, Lyndsey, Helen, Zoe, Katrina, Lynne & Patricia) and Lyndsey's sister all signed up. 
Some of Lyndsey's friends also signed up later so it was quite a wee gang by the time 13th May came round.

I wasn't too concerned about the running but the 10 inflatable obstacles terrified me!
You can see some examples on the Gung-Ho website here.

On Saturday morning it was absolutely chucking it down as I headed off into Edinburgh to meet everyone. 
Thankfully it had stopped raining by the time we got to The Meadows but was grey & damp but we were all excited & nervous about what lay ahead.

We were also joined by Zoe's support /cheer / photography team, Luke & Eric. Thank you so much Luke for some cracking photos.

While we were waiting for our start time 11.15, Patricia finished her 5k, she had the biggest smile on her face. This was her first event since she had her little girl. Massive well done xx

About 11.10 we were called to the warm up area for a cheesy warm up hosted by Pure Gym.

11.15 we were in the start area & we were in the first group to set off. They were staggering the start in about groups of 15 to 20.
After the first obstacle there was a bit of a run to the next one, we ended up naturally falling into 3 groups, loosely on running pace /ability....Zoe & I, followed by Lyndsey, her sister Sarah & friends & then Helen, Lynne & Katrina.
The first 5 obstacles weren't too bad and Zoe &! I seemed to quite a bit ahead of the rest of our group....but then it got tough.
We came to an obstacle which had massive queues & we were about 15 - 20 minutes waiting then probably 10 minutes getting over. I knew with my little legs I'd never jump it so I got one of the race crew to let me use his hands to put my foot into & the other at the top to take my hands & pull me up.....only to get to the top to discover the same again though slightly less steep.

Seemed to be quite a bit of running after that.

Then we got to the 10 foot wall, this was also really difficult, although it had holes in it, it was impossible to get a grip, I managed to get about a third of the way up and again the friendly race crew took my hands and helped me pull myself the rest of the way up. People were trying to climb down the other side but again almost impossible to hold on but I decided to just throw myself over.

Then a massive obstacle that involved climbing and bouncing... I was doing great till I lost momentum in the middle & fell in a puddle in a dip. Absolutely soaked to the skin. Again helped out by the race crew & by Zoe.
"Yes....I'm completely soaking wet now"
Then onto the final obstacle the slide or the castle jump. I wanted to do the slide....again a bit of a queue but this moved quite quickly....

The slide was simply awesome :-) including the foam at the bottom. The girl who came down fast after me managed to take me out at the back on the knees & I ended up flat on my back in the foam, covered head to toe.... I was completely ok, in fact it's the most I have laughed in ages.



At the finish area we got our headbands & t-shirts. 

As Zoe and I finished first I was able to get my bag from the bag drop and get video clips of the rest of the gang on the slide.

I think it's safe to safe we all had a brilliant time.
 
Would I recommend it?......YES
Only thing they could do with is somewhere to change....journey home in wet clothes meant I got a bit cold.
It was also a bit pricey by comparison to other running events but definitely worth it so if you have the chance book as soon as you can to take advantage of the early bird prices.

Would I do it again?.....YES YES YES

I also completed my Virtual Runner May fun run on Sunday with 5k & another 19 seconds off my time.

And I've completed my Virtual Runner May Triathlon today.

Next up Edinburgh Marathon Festival 5k....Arthur's Seat!

Thanks for reading 
 
Lots of love
Fudgey xxxxx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment