Monday 17 June 2013

The road back to fitness

Hello Fudgey Followers,

Yes I really am back, & blogger has changed a lot - going to take me some time to get to grips with it all again.

Where have I been?
The day after running The Edinburgh Rock & Roll half marathon in 2012 I found out that I was pregnant due boxing day, as my blog was mainly about my running it sadly became abandoned. I had hoped once I was once the 12 week stage to share my news & continue running - but running also had to take a back seat for over a year - it just didn't feel comfortable at all. I did keep up my general fitness though & was still a regular at the gym & had PT once a week right up to 37 weeks.

Christmas came & went & no sign of the new arrival, but at the start of 2013 our daughter was born

 
 
I'll spare you the details but even though she was a tiny wee girl she still managed to cause physical trauma on her arrival which meant her first hour of life spent with Daddy, surgery for me & a 12 week ban from exercise.
 
At first this wasn't an issue - with a newborn baby around I didn't feel much like exercising.
However by 8 weeks we had a pretty good routine & I was anxious to start back running but physio & consultant said no.
 
I waited for the 12 weeks to be over & at about 13 weeks I attempted my first run on the treadmill, it felt OK but my breathing wasn't great & I was wheezing & coughing afterwards. The next day I woke up choked with the cold. So running on hold again
 
At 15 weeks I tried again - a few hours after running I was being sick - turned out to be norovirus & I was ill for 48 hours. Mr Fudgey also became victim to the sickness bug but thankfully our wee princess never caught it.
 
At 17 weeks I was thinking of trying again but developed severe abdominal pain & I could hardly walk never mind contemplating running. I ended up admitted to hospital with acute diverticulitis.
A few days in hospital & I was back home, but back doing everything I'd been doing before - you don't get much rest with a 4 month old baby. Though the good news was that she was sleeping through the night from 9pm till at least 6am every day.
 
At 21 weeks I started the 30 day squat challenge on 27th May & on 29th May I finally started my running comeback & it continues well.
For 2 weeks I just did my own thing & ran / walked every other day mainly when the little one went to sleep at 9pm, but now I am following a more structured plan.
 
Where am I now?
 
Week 1: Last week
Session 1: Run 10 minutes walk 1 minute repeat twice
Session 2: Run 12 minutes walk 1 minute repeat twice
Session 3: Run 13 minutes walk 1 minute repeat twice
 
Week 2: This week
Session 1: Monday Long run as the little one is at her Granny & Grandpa in the afternoon. Walked for 2 minutes & decided to see how long I could run for - blown away that I managed 40 minutes, I then walked for 3 minutes to cool down. A couple of months ago I never thought this would happen, but hard work, determination & sheer bloody mindedness are paying off! I also couldn't do this without the support from my fantastic Mr Fudgey & a very very good little girl who sleeps so well to allow me the time to commit to my love of running.
 
Planned sessions:
Session 2: Run 15 minutes walk 1 minute repeat twice
Session 3: Run 17 minutes walk 1 minute run 7 minutes
Session 4: Run 19 minutes walk 1 minute run 7 minutes
 
Short Term Goals
 
Running:
  • In 4 weeks I want to be able to comfortably run 5k
  • In 10 weeks I want to be able to run 10k
 
Diet:
I need to get my diet back on track, I was doing really well, but increased activity = increased appetite & I haven't made the right choices in the last week. I'm reassured though as I know exactly where mistakes have been made & how to address them. The aim is to lose a stone over the next 14 weeks -  a pound a week should be easily achievable if I keep focused.
 
Long Term Goals
 
Running:
  • VLM in 2014 if I get a ballot place
  • Edinburgh Marathon in 2014 & already have a guaranteed place if I don't get into VLM
Hopefully I'll be able to update my blog once a week to let you know how I am getting on, but everything dependent on my number 1 priority.....
 


Great to be a Mummy & great to be back running.

Take care all

love
Fudgey
 

 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment